Search Site Pages

My Account Login


Options for Licensure as a NC Irrigation Contractor

• NC Irrigation Contractors’ Licensing Exam
$100 application fee
$310.00 exam fee

• Reciprocity – this is for individuals with an active license in another State that has comparable requirements and testing as North Carolina.
$100 application fee
$250 reciprocity fee

• CIC certification – individuals that have taken the CIC through the Irrigation Association on or AFTER 11/20/2009. The CIC certification must be active at the time of application in order to qualify for license as a NC Irrigation Contractor without examination.
$100 application fee
$200 exam fee

Criteria for Licensure for Military Trained & Military Spouse Applicants

Following are the instructions for completing the application and the required forms:

The first step in this process is to print the “Application for Irrigation Contractor License”, which requires supporting documentation to prove three years of irrigation-related field experience, references vouching for your good character and the application fee.

All of the forms on this site are form-fill so that you may type into the form prior to printing.  If you prefer you may print the forms and hand write on the application.  Be sure to print clearly and legibly.  The application form and supporting documentation must be mailed to the Board along with the $100 application fee. Any business entity, other than a sole proprietorship, must also complete the corporate license application and register your company with the NC Secretary of State. A sole proprietor must register his company with the Register of Deeds in his county if the company is located in North Carolina.  The Board suggests you wait until you have your individual license before applying for your corporate license or purchasing a surety bond.  These forms are also available below.

Read the attached Instructions for Licensing before completing the Application for Irrigation Contractor License.

  1. Application for Irrigation Contractor License – this is the application you must complete in order to sit for the Irrigation Licensing Exam, to apply for reciprocity or to qualify for licensure through having taken the CIC.
  2. Application for Corporate Irrigation Contractor License – this application should be completed after passing the exam, if your company is a corporation, LLC or partnership.  A corporate license is a requirement of NC General Statute §89G. Part of the process is to register with the NC Secretary of State.
  3. Client Verification Form – Part of the exam application process, is to prove three years of irrigation experience.  A minimum of three client verifications are required or may be combined with an employer verification.  Do not use the same individuals that are used as a confidential reference.
  4. Employer Verification Form –  You may only use this form if you were in the employment of a company where you performed irrigation services.  This form may be used in place of, or in combination with the client verification, as needed to prove three years of irrigation experience.  An owner or partner of a company may not use this form for proof of irrigation services.
  5. Confidential Reference Information Form – As part of the exam application process,  three confidential references are required.  At least one of the three must be completed by one of the following licensed professionals:  Irrigation Contractor, General Contractor, Plumber, Landscape Architect, Professional Engineer.  The other two references should be completed by someone unrelated that will vouch for your character.  This individual cannot be a fellow employee or your employer.  Do not use the same individual that is used as a client verification.  Confidential references must be sent directly to Board administration and should not be seen by the applicant.
  6. Surety Bond Form – after you have passed the exam you are required to obtain a $10,000 Surety Bond or a $10,000 irrevocable letter of credit from a bank.  The Surety Bond form must be completed by the Bonding company and the ORIGINAL Bond must be signed by the licensee or principal of the company and then returned to the Board’s office along with the Power of Attorney (The Power of Attorney authorizes the agent to make restitution payments against the surety bond,  when directed by the licensing board,  in the event damages have occurred). It is important to note, if you are a sole proprietor you can apply for a bond under your individual name or your company name.  This bond will remain in good standing if you change your company name or go to work for another company.  If you own a company and it is a corporation, LLC, or partnership you still may apply under your individual name. This would allow you to contract landscape work in your off hours. This would also apply to an individual that works for a corporation, LLC or partnership.  The other option for the owner of a corporation, LLC or partnership is to apply for a Surety Bond under the name of the company.  This option works well if you have multiple employees that are licensed irrigation contractors and want to pay for their coverage.  This allows you to have one bond that you can add and remove licensees without having to buy a new bond each time you have a change in employment .  The only downfall to this is if there is an individual that plans on contracting irrigation services on his/her own time they would then be required to get their own separate Surety Bond. Be reminded that if an individual puts in a claim against your Surety Bond, whomever is listed on the bond will be ultimately responsible.


© 2011 NCICLB. All rights reserved. Website by vitalink®.